using ndc to reload/reconfig bind that is chroot'ed

Phil N pnewlon at toosan.com
Tue Jun 13 12:17:43 UTC 2000

Ralf -

Late last night I found the problem.  The parent directory of "/etc" (from the
chroot perspective) needed to be owned by the user "named".  For some reason
named would start just fine but if I sent it a reload signal, it couldn't read
the /chroot/named/etc/named.conf file when the permissions on the /chroot/named
directory were not set as indicated below.  I did have the directory owned by
root.root with 0744 permission.....

This behavior, to me, was interesting since in the INSTALL file notes indicate
that:

      "-t" followed by a directory path on the "named" command line will
        cause the server to chroot() to that directory before it starts

Based on that (from my limited experience perspective :), I don't think that the
server should have started at all.

Phil

******
options {
        directory "/etc/namedb";
        pid-file "/var/log/named.pid";
};
******
[root at dns1 /chroot]# pwd
/chroot
[root at dns1 /chroot]# ls -lt
total 8
drwxrwx---   2 root     root         4096 Jun 12 16:43 postfix
drwxrwx---   8 named    named        4096 May 18 09:22 named
[root at dns1 /chroot]#
*****