using ndc to reload/reconfig bind that is chroot'ed

Alan J Rosenthal flaps at dgp.toronto.edu
Tue Jun 13 20:46:27 UTC 2000

Phil N <pnewlon at toosan.com> writes:
>Late last night I found the problem.  The parent directory of "/etc" (from the
>chroot perspective) needed to be owned by the user "named".

Yikes, I wouldn't do this if I were you.  There's a fair chance that this
makes the chrooted named uid able to achieve root, depending on what else
is in your chroot directory tree.

>I did have the directory owned by root.root with 0744 permission.....

It needs world 'x' permission.  It's very, very rare that there's any use for
'r' permission without 'x' permission, for a directory.  Make it root:root and
mode 0755 and you'll be fine.