MX problem

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jun 15 17:23:57 UTC 2000

In article <ziX15.1$Tv4.392 at nsw.nnrp.telstra.net>,
Craig Taylor <craig at labroy.com.au> wrote:
>Our organisation has multiple companies associated with it.  eg.
>company1.com.au,  company2.com.au, company3.com.au.
>
>The problem I'm having is we want to use internal DNS resolution (no
>internet resolution required..incoming or ourgoing) but using only one
>database file (eg. db.company1) for resolution.  Our HP-UX and AIX boxes
>send system messages to people at user at company1.com.au as well as
>user at company2.com.au and user at company3.com.au.  We have a server which will
>resolve these email addresses however the problem I've got is for the Unix
>boxes to resolve the MX records for company2 and company3.
>
>If the resolv.conf is as follows:
>
>domain company1.com.au
>
>And named.boot as follows:
>
>primary  company1.com.au  /etc/named.data/db.company1
>

>What entry do I need to put into the db.company1 file for it to resolve an
>MX query for company2.com.au and company3.com.au.  (Mail sent to
>user at company1.com.au works fine).

You can't put anything about company2.com.au in db.company1.  You need:

primary company2.com.au /etc/named.data/db.company2
primary company3.com.au /etc/named.data/db.company3

Where does your original requirement "using only one database file" come
from?  What is it you're really trying to accomplish?

If you want all the domains to be identical, you could do:

primary company2.com.au /etc/named.data/db.company1
primary company3.com.au /etc/named.data/db.company1

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA