MX problem

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jun 28 21:09:21 UTC 2000

odh wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Here's my problem :
>
> I have a domain name (say mydomain.com) that was previously hosted on a web
> server and had a dedicated mail server.
>
> Now, I have a new web server, and also a new mail server (w. Imail Server
> for Win NT) hosted somewhere else, with different IP adresses. I've updated
> the DNS entries on my DNS server with the following values :
>
> NS mydns.mydomain.com
>
> IN MX 0 mailsrv.mydomain.com
> localhost IN A 127.0.0.1
> www IN A 123.123.123.123
> mailsrv IN A 123.123.123.124
>
> Now, I can send message to mailuser at mailsrv.mydomain.com but not to
> mailuser at mydomain.com
>
> Does someone know what I did wrong ? Thanks for any help...

Hopefully, those aren't the way those lines appear in the actual zonefile. The
"NS" and "IN" lines above won't work unless there is whitespace preceding them
on the line, and even then, they may be misinterpreted, depending on what
precedes them in the zone file. Also, the lack of a trailing period almost
guarantees that they'll be misinterpreted.