NS File format.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jun 15 18:56:31 UTC 2000

I don't think this is a P5 thing: named-xfer has always thrown in extraneous
$ORIGIN directives, for as long as I can remember.

But, why does it matter that the format of the slave copies is "hard to deal
with"? There's normally no reason to be modifying slave copies manually, and
if you just want to do _ad_hoc_ queries from a slave server, you can use
"dig", which gives you a certain amount of control over the format of answers.

If you *really* need to render an entire slave copy into a "normalized" form,
then there's a utility Perl script in the BIND distribution at
contrib/misc/normalize_zone.pl, that'll do the job.

As for examples of how *master* zone files "should" look, various people have
different formatting styles. You could look at RFC 1035 for *one* formatting
style. The _DNS_and_BIND_ from O'Reilly -- pretty much considered the
DNS & BIND "bible" -- has various master file examples; I don't recall offhand
what formatting style(s) are used in them. But, ultimately, use whatever
format suits you best, as long as it is syntactically correct.

- Kevin