Question--Resolver

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jun 15 21:26:35 UTC 2000

In article <5DEF109335DAD111B05F00A0C9DDFC023398AB at ROCHS2>,
Scott.Wiseman <scott.wiseman at realestatenet.com> wrote:
>is the resolver the browser or ftp program or something like that
>or is it another name server doing a request for a domain

It's a library used by the browser or ftp program.  Also, DNS servers
include a resolver component, which is used when performing recursive
queries on behalf of clients.

However, I've sometimes heard the term used to refer to the caching DNS
server that the resolver library queries.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA