high availiblity DNS

Ramin K ramin at badapple.net
Sat Jun 24 01:41:28 UTC 2000

	I've been reading through the 2000 archives and there hasn't been much
concrete data on some of the plans we're considering. The closest was the
April thread titled "Can I run 2 named processes on the same machine".

	We'd like to run three or more boxes each with 4 or more processes of
named each depending on the max number of requests our platform can deliver
per instance of named. Right now it appears that named is using somewhere
110 to 150 MB for it's cache as a sampling across a few of our existing
servers. We're planning accordingly for the RAM requirements. We have
Arrowpoint load balancers which can do the port redirection with udp
packets, though I'm still in the testing phase for this, but supposedly it
does work.

Has anyone attempted something of this scale and would care to share?

	I'd assume that adding processes would scale almost linearly as long a RAM
was not an issue, but again if anyone knows better I'd love to hear from you.

Ramin K
Operations Eng.
Netzero Inc.