high availiblity DNS

Alan J Rosenthal flaps at dgp.toronto.edu
Sun Jun 25 14:58:01 UTC 2000

Ramin K <ramin at badapple.net> writes:
>	We'd like to run three or more boxes each with 4 or more processes of
>named each depending on the max number of requests our platform can deliver
>per instance of named.

I could be wrong, but I strongly suspect that multiple copies of identical
nameds on the same machine don't help.  For greater availability, run more
name servers on more different machines, ideally geographically dispersed.
(Actually I don't mean geographically, I mean according to the topology of
the internet.)

Find other people with similar interests and similar DNS loads, and become
secondaries for each other, to your mutual benefit.  You can gain a truly
amazing amount of redundancy this way, if you work on it.