lame server from a dial-up server

Lee Howard faxguy at server.deanox.com
Mon Jun 26 05:21:37 UTC 2000

I have a client for whom I've configured a server running bind (for DNS
internally).  Their DNS entries are bogus, since they haven't a registered
domain and since this server is dial-up and doesn't have a fixed ip address.

An ip-up.local script e-mails me the IP address, but every time I get that
e-mail my logs here show a lame server error for that system.  The domain
files are configured properly for the internal use, but how can I avoid
this lame server issue (which I guess comes from reverse DNS lookup done by
my server) when the IP number is not fixed (thus I cannot include the
number in the inaddr-arpa file).

I "could" have that same ip-up.local script rewrite the domain file and
then 'ndc restart'... but that seems very wrong to me.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Lee Howard