lame server from a dial-up server

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jun 28 00:37:28 UTC 2000

Lee Howard wrote:

> I have a client for whom I've configured a server running bind (for DNS
> internally).  Their DNS entries are bogus, since they haven't a registered
> domain and since this server is dial-up and doesn't have a fixed ip address.
>
> An ip-up.local script e-mails me the IP address, but every time I get that
> e-mail my logs here show a lame server error for that system.  The domain
> files are configured properly for the internal use, but how can I avoid
> this lame server issue (which I guess comes from reverse DNS lookup done by
> my server) when the IP number is not fixed (thus I cannot include the
> number in the inaddr-arpa file).
>
> I "could" have that same ip-up.local script rewrite the domain file and
> then 'ndc restart'... but that seems very wrong to me.

"Lame server" is not the same as "not found". I'd check for lameness in the
reverse delegation, or, depending on how "bogus" you made the forward entries,
perhaps there exists a domain which happens to have that same "bogus" name and
has lame servers.

As for the dynamic-IP problem, if all you care about is being able to resolve
that address yourself, maybe you could play some wildcard games so that
anything in the appropriate range would resolve to the same name...