Resolution Order - dns/files or files/dns?

Steve Kelley Steve.Kelley at sdrc.com
Fri Mar 24 18:20:31 UTC 2000

HI,

I had a quick question concering resolution order.

Our clients have a very abbreviated local hosts file that
typically contains "localhost" and the given "hostname".

Would it be better to specify the resolution order used
by the clients as "dns files" or "files dns"?

I was thinking that "files dns" would be better, and
eliminate some queries from hitting our DNS servers, but
I was just wondering if there was any standard protocol
in the community for defining the resolution order.

Thanks,
Steve...
steve.kelley at sdrc.com