Classless in-adr.arpa zones - & Dynamic Updates

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Mar 29 22:30:38 UTC 2000

In article <F2413A849CC9D211AC3500805FFE3E97099352 at swan.bcsc.GOV.BC.CA>,
Evans, Lorne R ISTA:EX <Lorne.Evans at gems1.gov.bc.ca> wrote:
>	I took a quick peek at both the archives and  RFC 2317 - but came up
>empty.  Are there any restrictions on Dynamic Updates of Classless
>in-adr.arpa zones?  The W2K MSFT Server Resource Kit doc states:
>
>		"NOTE Dynamic update does not work with classless
>in-addr.arpa zones.  If you need to dynamically update PTR resource records,
>do not use classless zones".
>
>		I am curious as to whether this is a generic DNS Server
>restriction - BIND and W2K DNS Server - or - just a  W2K DNS client / DHCP
>Server  restriction.  As well - could somebody possilby provide insight as
>to why this might be a restriction?

The general problem is that the client doesn't know the name of the reverse
domain to update.  Classless reverse domains are essentially a trick that
someone discovered.  With normal reverse DNS, if you have the address
w.x.y.z, you can assume that you need to update an entry in the
y.x.w.in-addr.arpa zone, but with classless in-addr.arpa the reverse zone
can be just about anything.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com