Dynamic DNS and BIND

Wayne Kupfer wayne.kupfer at detir.qld.gov.au
Mon Mar 6 04:42:31 UTC 2000

We are currently running BIND 8.2.2 as a master DNS server with static
addresses being assigned  by a DHCP server to PCs based on MAC address.
Due to some project requirements we are now facing the prospect of
removing the depencies of DHCP address allocation on MAC address and
allowing Dynamic DNS updates. Two questions have arisen.

1. How do we allow dynamic updates to the DNS while also being able to
edit the Zone file and then apply the changes. Obviously if a copy of
the DNS zone is taken for editing, by the time the changes are to be
applied it is possible that a number of dynamic changes may have taken
place and they will be "blown away" if the edited zone is reloaded. We
have thought of potentially scripting a way for the dynamic changes
during an edit to be logged and then essentially performing a "merge"
but this is getting messy.

2. Is it possible to assign only part of our address range as accepting
to dynamic updates while other areas remain static. This would be
preferable without resorting to multiple zone files or some other
workaround.

Thanks in advance
--
Wayne Kupfer