Reject of W2K gc._msdcs...

Tim Maestas tmaestas at idc.dhs.org
Mon Mar 6 07:51:59 UTC 2000

Craig, the domain _msdcs.zzz.com will be ignored, to the best of my
knowledge.  It is not really a domain, more a part of the host name of
records that are used forest wide. However, the DC's of your child
domains, subdomain.zzz.com should update the subdomain.zzz.com zone,
*along with* some records into zzz.com.  The record you mention,
gc._msdcs will definately go into the zone for the root of your forest, as
the global catalog srv record needs to be able to be located forest wide.
Your child domain controllers will put records in 2 places (3 if you count
reverse zones):  the root zone, and the child domain that they serve.

Your zone files look ok, along with your named.conf.  What I would try is
this (as it's what I've done and it seems to be working):

Create your zone files zzz.com and eb.zzz.com, along with
0.0.127.in-addr.arpa and any other reverse zones you need.  Configure an
apropriate named.conf (no problems with the one you listed below).  Don't
bother with creating a _msdcs.zzz.com domain.

Bring up the DC for the root of your forest and allow it to update it's
records into zzz.com.  Check the event viewer on the DC to make sure there
are no problems up to this point related to DNS or dynamic update.

Bring up the DC for your child domain.  Contrary to what Microsoft told
our company, the DC for the child domain *MUST* "live" in that domain.
IE, it's DNS domain is eb.zzz.com.  If it is in zzz.com, but is a DC for
eb.zzz.com, it's dynamic updates will go to zzz.com (at least this is the
behaviour we saw).  So child domain dc's must be a part of the domain
that they serve.

I've been thinking about the Dynamic DNS bugs I mentioned earlier, and
the one mentioned last may affect you.  Basically, the way I understand it
is this:  When you have a master server that is authoritative for zzz.com
and eb.zzz.com, if a dynamic update comes to zzz.com, the NS records that
delegate eb.zzz.com will be destroyed.  And actually, now that I look, I
didn't see any NS records in your zzz.com zone file that delegate
eb.zzz.com.  They should probably be there, but this bug may cause you
grief.  We are actually using Lucent's QIP, and since its source of
data comes from a sybase database, rather than the zone file, this bug
doesn't affect us (or they've fixed the bug, I haven't had time to really
look into it yet).  Even if this bug will affect you, you should at least
see the updates going into the eb.zzz.com zone file.  Once you get that
far, you can think about splitting eb.zzz.com out to a different server
than zzz.com.

-Tim