BIND 8 help - can't connect to local dns server...

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Mon Mar 6 09:48:10 UTC 2000

BIND Users Mailing List wrote:

> From: root <mshallop at shallop.com>

> When starting nslookup, it gives me an error before warping
> over to the next server I have in resolv.conf:
>
> *** Can't find server name for address 63.197.224.123: Non-existent
> host/domain

You need to set up reverse DNS for 63.197.224.123.

> I have a class-c subnet'd IP (net mask is: 255.255.255.248) - is this
> what's causing the problem? Is there a special way to configure bind
> given this IP assignment?

The best current practice for doing this is described in RFC 2317.

Btw., if one posts a zone file, it would be a good idea to also reveal the
domain name so people will know what the origin is.	:-)

Thor

--
If you send me email, please use PGP or OpenPGP.
My public keys can be downloaded from key servers.