MacOS 9 Dynamic DNS Update

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Mon Mar 6 18:49:10 UTC 2000

Way back in January Erik Freitag <erik.freitag at pobox.com> responded to a
question about MacOS 9 Dynamic Updates (I find from looking at
www.deja.com, but it won't let me post a reply) with a reference to an
Apple document at
<ftp://manuals.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Manuals/software/NSLAdminGuide.pdf>.
That document, however, doesn't seem to address dynamic update, just how
to put static entries in using TXT records (and allowing the clients to
transfer the zone to search it - yuck!).

We've just started to hit those annoying "unapproved update" messages in
our BIND log from Macs as well as Win2K machines and I wondered if anyone
could provide any further detail on how the MacOS 9 dynamic update stuff
is supposed to work and, more importantly, how to turn it off.

Thanks in advance...

--
Sam Wilson
Network Services Division, Computing Services