can I have two primary servers for the same domain (was: )

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Wed Mar 8 08:23:00 UTC 2000

BIND Users Mailing List wrote:

> From: "Jothish        CSE." <Jothish at wipro.co.in>

>   First question is can I have two primary servers for the same domain .

Yes, but why would you want to? Zone transfers were invented for a reason.

> Scenario  : I have two primary server in the same domain one in India and
> other one in US . Both are running Solaris 2.5.1 and BIND 4.9.7. US server
> is directly connected to the internet and has the record of all the machines
> of India as well as US .Indian server has the records of only Indian
> machines .
> Requirement :Sitting in India  I should be able to query all the Indian
> machines form the Indian primary server and whenever there is a query of a
> US machine the Indian servers should redirect the query to US server. I dont
> want to configure the Indian servers as a secondary or cache only .

I'd suggest creating a subdomain for your Indian hosts, and delegating
this subdomain to your Indian office. Regardless of this, I'd also suggest
having your Indian name servers run secondary zones for your superdomain.

Thor

--
If you send me email, please use PGP or OpenPGP.
My public keys can be downloaded from key servers.