Slow internal resolution

Stewart.Ann Ann_Stewart at ftb.ca.gov
Thu Mar 9 03:30:47 UTC 2000

One of our Web servers, which is, of course, outside the firewall, has a
name that doesn't end with our domain name.  Specifically, our domain is
ftb.ca.gov, our main Web site is www.ftb.ca.gov <http://www.ftb.ca.gov> ,
and the server in question (on the same subnet as www.ftb.ca.gov
<http://www.ftb.ca.gov> ) is called www.taxes.ca.gov
<http://www.taxes.ca.gov> .  The ca.gov resolver lives at a different
agency;  we have nothing to do with it.  The ftb.ca.gov resolver lives here
and I'm the homeless schizophrenic they picked up off the street to
administer it, so I only know rudimentary things about DNS and BIND.  To
make it worse, we're running BIND 4.9.3 and our cache table hasn't been
updated for 4.5 years.  www.taxes.ca.gov <http://www.taxes.ca.gov>  has 2
aliases:  taxes.ca.gov and tax.ca.gov.   All 3 are in our basic database,
which we call ftb.name (I inherited all of this -- don't blame anything on
me).  The one in the subnet database file for 209.210.72 is www.ftb.ca.gov
<http://www.ftb.ca.gov>  (with a dot after it). As far as I can tell,
everything is right for www.taxes.ca.gov <http://www.taxes.ca.gov>  in our
DNS tables.  If you do an nslookup, the name gets changed to
www.taxes.ca.gov.ftb.ca.gov <http://www.taxes.ca.gov.ftb.ca.gov> , and it
resolves to the correct IP address (209.210.72.17).