Bind allowing localhost maps

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Mar 10 22:45:24 UTC 2000

In article <200003102210.PAA27171 at refuge.Colorado.EDU>,
Robert Weber  <Robert.Weber at Colorado.EDU> wrote:
>This is a report I got from our campus spamcop.  It I verified I can do
>this with bind 8.2.2p5 by CNAME'ing my machine to localhost.  The domain
>is rejected as authoritive BUT it still resolves making a clever hole
>for spamers.  Can this be looked into so bind will stop functioning when
>such a resoultion to localhost or 127.0.0.1 is made?

At the DNS level there's nothing wrong with this.  It's not BIND's job to
protect sendmail.

I'm not sure what "clever hole for spammers" you're talking about.  There
are plenty of ways for spammers to create bogus return addresses.  If they
don't MX it to localhost, they can MX it to some real server that won't
accept it.  Either way, you can't reply to them.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com