Eliminating the "www" Portion of a URL

James Housley jim at thehousleys.net
Mon Mar 13 12:29:19 UTC 2000

Paul Scott wrote:

> How can I setup my zone records for each of the domains that I host so that
> the "www" portion of an address does not need to be entered when browsing to
> a site's URL?  I have tried and tried to get this functionality, but cannot
> seem to figure it out.  It seems that it would be as simple as the
> following:
>
> domain.com.    IN    A 216.132.25.7
>
> www            IN    A 216.132.15.11
> domain.com     IN CNAME www
>
> But this does not work, since the www address is an NT server running IIS
> and domain.com. is already pointing to 216.132.25.7 (the primary DNS
> server).
>
> Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Couple of options.

first:
domain.com.     IN  A  216.132.25.11
domain.com.     MX  10  mail.domain.com.

www             IN CNAME www

mail            IN  A  216.132.25.7

second:
Have your router/firwall redirect all inbound traffic to 216.132.25.7:80
to 216.132.25.11:80

Jim
--
The wise man built his network upon U*nx.
    The foolish man built his network upon Windows.