Eliminating the "www" Portion of a URL

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Tue Mar 14 16:53:12 UTC 2000

Cricket replied:
>I imagine there are still some misguided mailers out there that use
>the address record for a domain name instead of the MX records
>to determine where to deliver the mail.

Last week I worked on a mail problem with a Macintosh-based mailer.
When it tried to send mail to

     aaa.bbb.ccc.com

and it did not find an MX record for the full name, it did NOT look for
an "A" record; it then looked for an MX record for the sub-domain

     bbb.ccc.com

and in our case, that MX record pointed to a different mail host than
the "aaa" node, where the recipient's mailbox resides.  Once I added
an MX record for aaa that pointed to itself, mail from this Mac mailer
was deliverable.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov