Not Authoritative Error when try to be slave

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Mar 15 21:13:03 UTC 2000

In article <01bf8e31$d14d29a0$3201a8c0 at wraith.mclachlan.com.au>,
Wilson Fletcher <wilson at mclachlan.com.au> wrote:
>Mar 15 13:38:40 sulu named-xfer[13577]: [203.26.11.154] not authoritative
>for mclachlan.com.au, SOA query got rcode 0, aa 0, ancount 1, aucount 0
>Mar 15 13:38:40 sulu named-xfer[13578]: [203.26.11.154] not authoritative
>for mclachlanlister.com.au, SOA query got rcode 0, aa 0, ancount 1, aucount
>0

When your slave server queries the master server for the SOA records of the
domains, it's getting a non-authoritative response.  The most common cause
of this is that the master server detected a syntax error in the db file
when it was loading it.  When this happens, it makes itself
non-authoritative for the zone to prevent propagation of suspect data to
slave servers.

Look in the log file of the master server for the specific errors.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com