Bogus Update errors in BIND 8.1.1?

Treptow, Craig Treptow.Craig at principal.com
Thu Mar 16 19:57:12 UTC 2000

Hi.  I'm running BIND 8.1.1 on AIX 4.3.1 and testing with W2K machines.  While
installing and configuring the W2K servers, they attempt to register names.
These generate error messages such as:

27-Feb-2001 20:44:39.744 update: error: error processing update packet id 2993
from [192.168.40.106].1067

I have also captured some of these with a sniffer, and the attempt to register
a name is replied by the DNS server with a status of OK.  I also find the
entries it was trying to register in the DNS zone files...such as:

$ORIGIN _tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.dc._msdcs.root.principal.com.
_ldap   600     IN      SRV             0 100 389 dom2.root.principal.com.
;Cl=4
        600     IN      SRV             0 100 389 root.root.principal.com.
;Cl=4

So, since the updates appear to actually have worked, does BIND 8.1.1 display
bogus error messages?

Additional info:

Some of the packets containing the "register name" operation were flagged by
the sniffer with "DLC: --- Frame Too Short".  Others had "Name = ERROR to
converting names", "Type = ?", and "Class = ?".  Could these be related to the
errors from the DNS server?

I have BIND 8.2.2-p5, but have not yet had a chance to test this with that
version.

Additional Questions:

Will RFC 2136 show me what dynamic update conversations are supposed to look
like?

Thanks.

Craig Treptow
Principal Financial Group