Planning for Emergencies -- A DNS Solution ?

wwebb at adni.net wwebb at adni.net
Fri Mar 17 20:13:09 UTC 2000

> You seem to be assuming that secondary servers are only used
>when the  primary is unavailable....

I worded my previous message as set forth below poorly.  I realize
that in the scenario I set out there would be no way of knowing if a
particular inquiry was going to reach the server associated with the
master or the slave--but then again, it would have at least some
load balancing effect. :-)

Would there be any other drawbacks to the scenario below  ?

Bill Webb

> >Place the primary DNS server on the same server as
> >the primary web server and the secondary DNS server  on the
> >same server as the secondary web server.  The primary DNS
> >server has an IP pointing to the primary web server. The
secondary
> >dns server has an IP pointing it to the secondary  web server.
Both