Planning for Emergencies -- A DNS Solution ?

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Sat Mar 18 22:46:19 UTC 2000

> > You seem to be assuming that secondary servers are only used
> >when the  primary is unavailable....
>
> I worded my previous message as set forth below poorly.  I realize
> that in the scenario I set out there would be no way of knowing if a
> particular inquiry was going to reach the server associated with the
> master or the slave--but then again, it would have at least some
> load balancing effect. :-)
>
> Would there be any other drawbacks to the scenario below  ?

A failure of the web server, rather than the host it runs on, wouldn't
affect the local name server.  You'd probably want some sort of
monitor that killed the name server if the local web server stopped
responding.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.