Eliminating the "www" Portion of a URL

Scott Morizot tmorizot at ccsi.com
Tue Mar 21 12:30:17 UTC 2000

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, AOC Technical Support wrote:
> I tried exactly as you said to do and it did not work:
>
> $TTL 259200
> @ IN SOA atlantis.edenaudio.com. hostmaster.edenaudio.com. (
>                         2000032003      ; Serial
>                         1H              ; Refresh
>                         10M             ; Retry
>                         4w2d            ; Expiry
>                         1h )            ; Negative caching TTL
>                         IN NS   atlantis.aoc.net.
>                         IN NS   pluto.aoc.net.
>                         MX 10   mail.edenaudio.com.
>                         IN      A       216.132.25.11

All of the above records inherit the origin of the zone
( @ ) from the SOA RR.  ( Assuming this is the
edenaudio.com zone file, '@' expands to edenaudio.com.)

That makes the address record above for the same host label as:

> edenaudio.com.          IN      A       216.132.25.7

You've already identified the IP above as your name server.
Normally you would give the same label two IP addresses
if you wanted to create a round robin effect.  In this
instance, since one is your web server and the other is
your DNS server, you'll have to decide which server
(and service) you want edenaudio.com. to resolve to.
Since you don't list edenaudio.com. in the NS records
for the zone, you may not want it to resolve to the
name server.

Scott