Eliminating the "www" Portion of a URL

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Tue Mar 21 06:09:21 UTC 2000

> Richard,
>
> Yes, right now it is working only because I commented out the following
> line:
>
> ;edenaudio.com.          IN      A       216.132.25.7
>
> If I uncomment that line, it does not work again, because a ping of
> edenaudio.com then answers @ 216.132.25.7.

	Actually it will go to one of the two addresses then.
	Which one that is choosen is usually random.  The DNS
	provides name to address mappings.  Until the advent of
	SRV records only mail could be directed to different
	machines to those specified by the A records associated
	with a name.  SRV provide a generalised service redirection
	but the per protocol details are still to be worked out.

	What service are you trying to provide on 216.132.25.7 and
	why is it critical that it is named edenaudio.com?
	You only mention that it is a DNS server and DNS servers
	don't need to be named with a name related to the zones
	it serves.

	One alternative solution would be to run a http server on
	216.132.25.7 and have it redirect queries to the other server.

	The long term solution will be to write a RFC stating how
	to use SRV records with HTTP then get it deployed.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com