Where is BIND?

Johnno johnno at nospam.casebook.org
Tue Mar 21 08:39:58 UTC 2000

Bernie <bernie14 at home.com> wrote:

> This is a silly question...
> Where is BIND?  I am using Red Hat 6.1, installed BIND from the CD, but
> can't seem to find where the BIND files are.  What is the start command,

/etc/rc.d/init.d/named start

> what is the name of the BIND config file?

/etc/named.conf

> I looked for named.conf in my /etc/ directory but couldn't find it.

That's strange.  Type the following:

rpm -qa | grep bind

If you see the BIND package listed, it's installed from an RPM archive.

If that's the case on your system, type "rpm -ql bind" to list all of the
files the package installed.

> Is this the config file for BIND?

/etc/named.conf is the standard config file for BIND 8.x.  BIND 4.x uses
/etc/named.boot instead.

PS: upgrade to BIND 82.2.2-P5.  Red Hat Linux 6.1 certainly doesn't ship with
patchlevel 5, but due to some security issues with previous versions, it is
highly advisable to upgrade.

The RPM can be downloaded from:

ftp://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/linux/redhat/redhat-6.2beta/i386/RedHat/RPMS/

Look for bind-8.2.2_P5-6.i386.rpm.

To upgrade BIND on your system, run "rpm -Uvh bind-8.2.2_P5-6.i386.rpm".

--
Johnno (johnno at nospam.casebook.org)
http://usrwww.optusnet.com.au/~japp