serial error with zone transfers

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu May 4 19:16:46 UTC 2000

In article <391197F3.8FDE4540 at cclemmer.net>,
Charlie Clemmer  <cclemmer at cclemmer.net> wrote:
>I'm not Michael, but I've seen the same behavior.
>
>On my remote secondary, I get the error message "Err/TO getting serial#
>for "domain.com", where domain.com is any and all domains that the
>secondary is carrying. According to the URL you listed, this means that
>either a router somewhere is consuming traffic to TCP port 53, or this
>zone has been deleted from the master.

I think it can also be caused by the master server not being authoritative
for the zone, which will happen as a result of a syntax error in the zone
file.

>What's interesting....if I make a change to one of the zone files on the
>master, increase the serial number, and restart the server, my
>secondaries are notified of the change, and they correctly transfer the
>updated zone information. The error message listed above only shows up
>some days after the successful zone update.

The slave server periodically queries the master to get the serial number,
to see if a transfer needs to be done.  The error message indicates an
error while doing that.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA