Newbie - DNS Setup. Is this correct?

HJS nate_yuri at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 05:02:25 UTC 2000

Hello,

I'm trying to learn DNS and I figured the best way is to do it hands on.

I was wondering if somebody can tell me if this EXAMPLE is correct.

I have multihomed NT 4 StandAlone Server w/ SP3 on the net via Cable modem.
When I setup my server, since it's standalone server I have the following
info:

workgroup: ABC
Servername: 3M

I installed the DNS server that comes with NT.  Under the DNS tab of TCP/IP
Protocols in Control Panel -> Network, I have

Host: 3M
domain:  A1B2C3.COM

I do NOT have A1B2C3.COM registered.

Now Running DNS Manager, I added a new DNS server: 3M

Under the properties, since the server is multihomed, I ONLY put in the IP
address connected to the NET and excluded the IP of the NIC for my internal
network.

So far so good??

Now, under 3M server, I created a NEW Primary Zone for QWERTY.COM that I
already registered with Internic.

The system automatically created the following for me.

QWERTY.COM NS 3M.A1B2C3.COM
QWERTY.COM SOA 3M.A1B2C3.COM, ADMINISTRATOR.A1B2C3.COM

1ST question is when I was playing around with GraniteCanyon Public DNS,
their DNS record has extra period at the end of the host name, name
servers, etc.  Does MS DNS Server need the same thing?  Do I edit the entry
to add "." and the end of QWERTY.COM and a1b2c3.com???

Next,  I added

3M A xx.xx.xx.xx (my external IP address)
www CNAME QWERTY.COM

Is this correct??  Remember A1B2C3.com domain I put in my DNS tab under
Network in Control panel?  Will I have a problem since I don't have this
actual domain registered?  Even if I don't have this registered, can I use
it the way I did in my DNS entries?

Sorry for the LONG post.  Appreciate ANY help!

PS.  If I want to setup GraniteCanyon as my secondary DNS only,

Do I ONLY add

QWERTY.COM NS ns1.granitecanyon.com
QWERTY.COM NS ns2.granitecanyon.com

and also, under NOTIFY, enter the IP address of both NS1 and NS2??

Or is there anything else I have to enter?  Finally when I created a
secondary DNS for QWERTY.COM in GraniteCanyon, it gives me the same form as
if I'm creating a primary DNS??  What should I put?  The example I saw was
a different form where it just asks you for the domain, contact and the
primary name server.  but that's NOT what's showing up..

Please Help!

Thanks again for all your input!