Secondary Server

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed May 3 20:44:03 UTC 2000

In article <20000503155529.K26005 at washington.cospo.osis.gov>,
Joseph S D Yao  <jsdy at cospo.osis.gov> wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 12:39:03AM +0100, Johan Fredrik Vhman wrote:
>> I'm a little disapointet that there is no such feature in bind ?
>> Woudn't it be nice if a future version of bind Bind supported automaticly
>> polling of all domain names on secondary server ?   This would lower the
>> amount of administration a scondary nameserver requiers....
>
>It would have to read minds to do so.

Or the protocol could be augmented to provide a way for it to do that
without reading minds.

>I have name servers a, b, and c.  I have - for legitimate reasons - one
>domain whose master is a and whose slave is b, and another whose master
>is a and whose slave is c.  I have a third whose master is c and whose
>slaves are a and b.
>
>I now install a new zone.  If I make its master a, which machines
>should be slaves?  How about if the master is b?  What if it's c?
>
>Wrong.  I intended to have "d" slave to this one.  ;-)  [Unfair, there
>is no d, and I made that one up.  But there could be!]

In this case you obviously wouldn't put "slave-for-all-zones-of-masters {
a; }' in b's configuration.  But that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be a
useful feature for sites with much simpler configurations (e.g. two DNS
servers that they use for all their domains).

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA