Secondary Server

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed May 3 22:00:10 UTC 2000

For a limited, i.e. internal root namespace, a more palatable alternative might
be to run a script periodically on the slaves which just searches for new zones
to slave and obsolete ones to stop slaving. This is what we do. This way, I
don't have to set up any trust relationships between master and slaves, or run
any cron jobs on the master constantly checking files to see if anything has
changed.

For larger namespaces, e.g. the Internet, this approach is not practical, but
I still think a somewhat modified version might be feasible: have something on
the slaves which watches the logs for incoming NOTIFY messages, and then
auto-slaves the NOTIFY'ed zones, subject to ACL's, delegation-checks, etc.. You
could also have a separate job running on the slaves to check delegations so
that it knows when to stop slaving a zone.

As for kill -HUP'ing named, it would probably be less disruptive to do a "ndc
reconfig" followed by any necessary "ndc reload <zone>" commands, wouldn't
it? Of course, if you're constantly overlaying your slaves' /etc/named.conf
files with *arbitrary* contents, I guess that's not really an option...

- Kevin