822p5: specify source for NOTIFY messages?

Mathias Koerber mathias at koerber.org
Sat May 6 01:50:03 UTC 2000

Hi all,

My primary nameserver is located on a multihomed system with addresses
203.127.219.241 and 202.166.27.108.

This server (ns1.koerber.org) has these 2 IP addresses listed in the DNS.

As this nameserver is both authoritative and also recursive (for the
few systems in my network), I use
         query-source    address * port *;
to enable it to use both networks to send/answer queries..

Now, for some of my zones, the secondary nameserves only list
one of my IP addresses as master (I want it that way), so that
zonetransfers will only be made through that one interface.

However, it seems that my server sends NOTIFY out of either (randomly
chosen?)
interface, which obviously results in the secondary saying

May  6 09:34:58 dnssec4 named[13858]: NOTIFY(SOA) from non-master server
(zone ree.per
.sg), from [202.166.27.108].2297

So my question:
Is there any way to tell BIND (per zone?) which interface/IP address to use
for notify messages?

query-source does not seem to be the answer, as I would like to retain the
ability to send other queries from either interface...

thanks

Mathias Koerber
mathias at staff.singnet.com.sg
SingNet Eng & Ops                                      mathias at koerber.org
(private)
2 Stirling Rd, #03-00                                     Tel: +65 / 4719820
Queenstown Telephone Exchange       Fax: +65 / 475 3273
Singapore 148943
* Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mt Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft *