Split DNS

Greg Haygood ghaygood at brightlane.com
Wed May 17 14:21:06 UTC 2000

I just went through this ordeal with Solaris and Linux.  You have to add
the following section to your named.conf:

controls {
         unix "/var/named.external/ndc" perm 0600 owner 0 group 0;
};

you then have to specify this channel when calling ndc.  especially when
calling restart, ndc just tries to reload the server.  so you have to tell
it what command to run using the -n option (this isn't documented, but it's
in the source)  i threw everything into the init.d script to handle all the
options for me:

<snip>
'restart')
         /usr/local/sbin/ndc -n "$PROG $CONF" -p $PID -c $CHANNEL restart;;
</snip>

email me if you need more info or have problems with this.

-greg

--
Greg Haygood
ghaygood at brightlane.com