MX problem or not?

Heywood Jablowme downsizemyass at yahoo.com
Thu May 25 18:46:47 UTC 2000

We are trying to bring up our secondary NS box as a
backup mail server in the event that our Primary
NS/Mail
server goes down.  The  Primary server is running
Sendmail 8.8.7 with aliases that point to our internal
localmail
server.  Whenever we shut off smtp on our Primary mail
server the Secondary starts getting mail sent to it.
The
Secondary server is running Sendmail 8.10.1.  The
problem is that when the Secondary recieves mail
destined for
user at domain.k12.state.us, it attempts to relay it back
to the Primary server.  If we send a message to
ns2.domain.k12.state.us, the mail goes through just
fine.  I think my domain file is fine but, it may need
a little
tweaking perhaps?  Or, is this a sendmail settings
error?  I have the domain as well as ns1 and ns2
listed in my
sendmail.cw file...  Any help would be great.

;-----------------------------------------------------------------------

; .DOMAIN.K12.STATE.US zone
/etc/dns/us.state.k12.domain (domain)
;-----------------------------------------------------------------------

@       604800  IN SOA  ns1.domain.k12.state.us.
hostmaster.ns1.domain.
k12.state.us. (

                              200005231635 ; serial

                              86400      ; refresh
every one day
                              3600       ; retry every
hour
                              2592000    ; expire in
30 days
                              86400 )    ; default TTL
of 1 day

;-----------------------------------------------------------------------

; name service for the domain

;-----------------------------------------------------------------------

                                NS
NS1.DOMAIN.K12.STATE.US.
                                NS
NS2.DOMAIN.K12.STATE.US.

;-----------------------------------------------------------------------
; *** MX Records
;-----------------------------------------------------------------------
domain.k12.state.us.		MX  10  ns1.domain.k12.state.us.
domain.k12.state.us.		MX  20  ns2.domain.k12.state.us.
localmail.domain.k12.state.us.	MX  10
localmail.domain.k12.state.us.
*.domain.k12.state.us.	MX  10
ns1.domain.k12.state.us.
*.domain.k12.state.us.	MX  20
ns2.domain.k12.state.us.

;-----------------------------------------------------------------------
; *** Hosts
;-----------------------------------------------------------------------
ns2			A       192.111.122.15
			MX  20  ns2.domain.k12.state.us.

ns1			A       192.111.122.10
			MX  10  ns1.domain.k12.state.us.

domain.k12.state.us.		A       192.111.122.10
			MX  10  ns1.domain.k12.state.us.
			MX  20  ns2.domain.k12.state.us.

localmail.domain.k12.state.us.	A       192.111.122.5
			MX  10  localmail.domain.k12.state.us.
			MX  50  ns1.domain.k12.state.us.
			MX  60  ns2.domain.k12.state.us.
; *** End

** Some information has been altered to protect the
innocent!  :-)