how subdomains work/are implemented? (was: HELP!)

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Fri May 26 15:32:34 UTC 2000

Simon wrote:

> I have a domain name
> http://www.simonwebdesign.com

That's a URL, not a domain name. "com.", "simonwebdesign.com." and
"www.simonwebdesign.com." are domain names.

> I would like to set up
> http://staging.simonwebdesign.com how would I set it up and where would the
> staging part have to pint to?

Assuming that you're authoritative for simonwebdesign.com, you have two
major choices: you can add the records for stuff in the staging domain
directly to the simonwebdesign.com master zone file, as in...

$ORIGIN simonwebdesign.com.
staging		A	192.168.0.1
		MX	10	mail.staging
		MX	20	mail.example.net.
mail.staging	A	192.168.0.2

...or you can delegate the staging domain to another set of servers, like
this:

$ORIGIN simonwebdesign.com.
staging		NS	ns.staging
		NS	ns.example.net.
ns.staging	A	192.168.0.3

Of course, in order to make the HTTP stuff work as well, you'd also need
to configure your web server, especially if you'd like to use so-called
name-based virtual hosting.

Thor

--
Plain old email is very insecure. Please make it
a little safer for yourself and me by using PGP.