CNAME and OTHER data error

jasondinsdale at my-deja.com jasondinsdale at my-deja.com
Tue May 30 07:18:18 UTC 2000

People,

Can you please confirm something for me?   I have the following records
in a zone file (which I inherited), which our new 8.2.2 (P5) name
server is complaining about.

sldakz03		           IN A	9.184.224.241
FDEMEEEBELFKDADDCACACACACACACACA   IN CNAME sldakz03
				   IN HINFO sldakz03 (0x20 in byte 16)
FDEMEEEBELFKDADDCACACACACACACAAA   IN CNAME sldakz03
				   IN HINFO sldakz03 (0x00 in byte 16)
FDEMEEEBELFKDADDCACACACACACACAAD   IN CNAME sldakz03
				   IN HINFO sldakz03 (0x03 in byte 16)

It seems to me that the intention of the original author is to define
an HINFO record for each of the CNAMEs, but due to the new zone
checking routines in 8.2.2, this is now illegal?

If so then is there an alternative to using HINFO records?

Many thanks,

Jason

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.