CNAME and OTHER data error

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue May 30 17:52:03 UTC 2000

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 07:18:18AM +0000, jasondinsdale at my-deja.com wrote:
> Can you please confirm something for me?   I have the following records
> in a zone file (which I inherited), which our new 8.2.2 (P5) name
> server is complaining about.
>
> sldakz03		           IN A	9.184.224.241
> FDEMEEEBELFKDADDCACACACACACACACA   IN CNAME sldakz03
> 				   IN HINFO sldakz03 (0x20 in byte 16)
> FDEMEEEBELFKDADDCACACACACACACAAA   IN CNAME sldakz03
> 				   IN HINFO sldakz03 (0x00 in byte 16)
> FDEMEEEBELFKDADDCACACACACACACAAD   IN CNAME sldakz03
> 				   IN HINFO sldakz03 (0x03 in byte 16)
>
> It seems to me that the intention of the original author is to define
> an HINFO record for each of the CNAMEs, but due to the new zone
> checking routines in 8.2.2, this is now illegal?
>
> If so then is there an alternative to using HINFO records?

What odd names you have in your domains.

Clarification: this has always been illegal.  BIND is getting less
tolerant of error, so as to promote security.

You cannot have HINFO records for labels that are also on CNAME
records.  A CNAME record says that the label to its left isn't "REAL".
The "REAL" name is the thing to its right.  All other information needs
to be picked up by looking up the thing to its right.

SO ... you can attach an HINFO record to "sldakz03".  But that would
probably not do what you want.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B