Non-Publishable IP's

Bill Manning bmanning at ISI.EDU
Tue May 30 19:00:02 UTC 2000

%
% The 192.168 IP's (which I also use) can have A records and you can have
% PTR reverse zone files as well. Since they are reserved, you dont need
% to have
% someone delegate them to you.
% AFAIK a DNS server can handle internal and external zones, bind 8.2.2P5
% has many options that restrict queries and transfers(per zone) that you
% need not worry about them getting out assuming you configure your
% restrictions properly.
%
% Just remeber that each zone file can have query/transfer restrictions
% and you
% should be fine. I dont quite understand the need to run DHCP for
% internal
% address unless you have laptops that move around a site. There would be
% no shortage of IP numbers.
%
% Henri J.Schlereth
%

	A bit on your terminology.  The 192.168.0.0/16 prefix is
delegated for use in private networks. It is not reserved. Please
review RFC 1918 for details. Note also that all RFC 1918 space does
have authoritative DNS servers in the Internet, primarly to assist
folks who have improperly configured firewalls. Leaking queries for
RFC 1918 space from private networks into the Internet does happen.

--
--bill