sendmail: sender domain must resolve

Kenneth Porter shiva at well.com
Sat Nov 4 05:26:18 UTC 2000

On Sat, 4 Nov 2000 13:02:56 +0800, Mathias K=94rber wrote:

>What system is your user using as SMTP server? Is that the server
>that reports the error, or does that come somewhat later
>as bounce-mail from some other server?

No, it's the sendmail running on our gateway, smtp.kensingtonlabs.com.

BTW, I've noticed what seem to be one-shot DNS failures on my NT
workstation running Netscape 4.76 through the Naviscope ad-blocker and
next-page-prefetch proxy, and wasn't sure if those were coming from the
browser/proxy combination or were real DNS failures. The first click on
some links results in a "site not found" error and a subsequent reload
of the page successfully pulls the page. This might be related.

>I checked out your domain and it looks ok at first glance, except for o=
ne thing:

>	;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
>	dns1.netlimited.net.    1d12h46s IN A   209.196.128.11
>	dns2.netlimited.net.    1d12h46s IN A   209.196.128.12
>
>Both nameservers for your zone are located in the same /24 network.
>(a traceroute poves that)
>
>So if there is a network problem, BOTH will be unreachable, and that co=
uld
>result in the problem you observed (and others). You should have second=
ary
>nameservers that are located on different networks, powersupplies etc
>(see RFC2182 Section 3.1)

Thanks, I'll pass that on to my provider.

Ken
mailto:shiva at well.com
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/
http://www.harrybrowne2000.org/