bind 8.1.1 hanging intermittently

whaughto at csc.com whaughto at csc.com
Sat Nov 4 23:05:48 UTC 2000

We are running a BIND 8.1.1  (amongst others).

One of them recently has begun periods from several minutes
to maybe an hour or more where zone transfers from it will (others
requesting a zone from this one)  will time out,  but no error indication
on the "freezing" dns.

We have found times where we are logged on to the system while
this is happening,  so we can look for clues,  but haven't found
anything significant.  No hi or lo cpu,  no memory shortage,  nothing
in syslog.

I am aware of the possible exploit where someone can send me a
malformed request and freeze my dns for up to 2 minutes,  but before
I jump into paranoid mode,  I'm looking to see if there might be more
routine causes for such behaviour.

environment  HP UX 10.20

Thanks
 Bill