BIND 9 on Red Hat

John Horne J.Horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Tue Nov 21 12:50:58 UTC 2000

On 04-Nov-00 at 07:37:18 Kenneth Porter wrote:

> I bit the bullet and tried the Rawhide SRPM for bind-9.0.0-2. I
> immediately discovered that the RH-provided init script was pretty
> broken. It attempts to use "-u named" which requires a 2.3 kernel, and
> I was running 2.2. (The script could use uname to find the kernel
> version and build the command on the fly, or named could consider the
> option to be a warning instead of a failure on the older kernel.) It
> also still refers to ndc for various operations, most of which aren't
> even implemented yet in BIND 9. A little research revealed that another
> hardy adventurer had encountered the same issues:

I've been running bind 9 on redhat 6.2 with no problems, and am now running
9.0.1 under rh7.0. However, I have built bind from the sources and simply
kept the standard 8.2.2_P5 rpms startup scripts. Building from source puts
everything into /usr/local (by default) so simply changing the startup
script to the correct executable was all that was required.

I haven't bothered with rndc since I didn't use ndc previously much, but it
seems to be no problem (create the key, add the config entry and create the
rndc.conf file).

The named.conf needed a little changing since I used to do lots of logging -
this has not all been implemented into bind 9 (some of the categories are
not present).

With respect to rpms, I'll probably wait for redhat 7.1 when they may have
sorted out bind 9 (as you mention), kde2, a 2.4 kernel, the gcc compiler
(instead of kgcc for the kernel) etc, etc :-)

John.

E-mail: jhorne at plymouth.ac.uk