Domain Name Registrar vs. Webcountry Hosting...Who do I believe?

Bill Manning bmanning at ISI.EDU
Thu Nov 9 17:27:49 UTC 2000

% Both sides are just hurling technical gobbledygook at me and blaming each
% other. Has anyone got technical experience in this? Who do I believe? Any
% advice appreciated...
%
% thanx
%
% Grant

	For the domains I manage, I use the old format of ensuring
	the servers for the requested delegation are authoritative
	-prior- to making the delegation. This ensures a reduction
	in the number of lame delegations. Folks in the domain
	hosting biz tend to be driven by fees for domains hosted,
	and there is less care that a delegation actually works.

	Potentially some useful advice:

	%dig <yourdomainhere> ns @<each one of the servers for the delegation>

	will show if each of them is set up properly.

	http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-185.html#chapter5

Prior to the delegation of domain name zones (e.g. "cat.edu"), the person or
organisation to whom authority over the zone is delegated agrees to provide
some key services necessary to support domain names extending from the zone.

When a ... zone is delegated ..., care should of course be taken in the proper
construction of the DNS configuration files for the zone. Known pitfalls and
some useful tips for avoiding them can be found in (RFC 1912 [Barr96a]).

For each zone, a secondary server must be set up to improve the reliability of
the database under adverse conditions. To increase the probability that the
secondary server can be reached if the primary server becomes unavailable, the
secondary server is required to be on a subnet physically separated from the
primary server.

--
--bill