No Rootserver

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Nov 14 23:22:16 UTC 2000

j.foerster wrote:

> Hello Everybody!
>
> I`ve configured a DNS using Bind 8.2.3-34 (SuSE 7.0 Kernel 2.2.16).
> When the daemon is started everything is fine but after a while I get the
> following
> errormessage:
>
>     ns_req : no address for root server
>     sysquery : no addrs found for root NS ( )
>     sysquery : no addrs found for root NS ( Root-NS.Name )
>
> If the daemon will be restartet everything is fine again until ....

Looks like you're trying to run with an Internet hints file but not
connected to the Internet. I'm assuming here that when you say things are
"fine" you mean only that your nameserver can resolve internal names. It
takes a while before the nameserver times out trying to get the root zone
data and starts complaining in the logs.

If you're not connected to the Internet you should either have a) no hints
file at all, if you're forwarding through some other server for Internet
names, b) a hints file containing internal root servers, or c) a master,
slave or stub zone definition for the root zone.