No Rootserver

j.foerster news at j-foerster.de
Wed Nov 15 20:09:32 UTC 2000

Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
3A11C928.B5738278 at daimlerchrysler.com...

> j.foerster wrote:
>
> > errormessage:
> >
> >     ns_req : no address for root server
> >     sysquery : no addrs found for root NS ( )
> >     sysquery : no addrs found for root NS ( Root-NS.Name )
> >
> > If the daemon will be restartet everything is fine again until ....
>
> Looks like you're trying to run with an Internet hints file but not
> connected to the Internet. I'm assuming here that when you say things are
> "fine" you mean only that your nameserver can resolve internal names.
Actually the Server is running in an Intranet with its own rootserver, and
when the
daemon is startet rootserver was found, Zonetransfers are completed and
resolving
internal (LAN) and external (WAN) names.

> It takes a while before the nameserver times out trying to get the root
zone
> data and starts complaining in the logs.
I can`t believe that this should take about two days...

> If you're not connected to the Internet you should either have
> a) no hints file at all, if you're forwarding through some other server
for Internet names,
> b) a hints file containing internal root servers, or
the hint-file contains a root-server used in the WAN
> c) a master, slave or stub zone definition for the root zone.
>

> - Kevin
Thank U for Your Help.

Juergen