authoritative or not?

beetle bailey mrking01 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 15 15:34:47 UTC 2000

I checked the logs but I guess I didn't look closely enough.  The subdomain
in question failed because of invalid chars in host names.  I have another
question though: the initial problem we saw was with remote mta's not being
able to resolve this particular subdomain, but I checked what was listed as
their authoritative namerservers and they were able to resolve soa queries.
I guess I have two questions: if our nameserver fails to load a zone, how
does it respond to queries? (is the data cached?)  Also, and I don't know if
this should go to comp.mail.sendmail or not, but if the ns for a domain can
resolve ours, why would their mailserver not accept mail from us? thanks.