$ORIGIN in Bind 9

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Nov 16 23:53:46 UTC 2000

montgemia at my-deja.com wrote:

> I'm having some difficulty with bind 9 and seting it up correctly.
>
> Here's what I'm trying to fix.
>
> When I start nslookup from any of my machines the server responds
> Answer Crypto-validated by server:
> Server: ns1.101.168.192.in-addr.arpa
> Address: 192.168.101.84
>
> What I want it to say is ns1.mydomain.com  for the Server line.
>
> Basicly this is where I am right now.  I tried seting up
> $ORIGIN mydomain.com in the forward zone file, and restarted the deamon,
> not the machine, it didn't seem to do the trick.  I'm using solaris 8
> right now.  Any help would be greatly appricated, I'm probably not
> setting up another file used correctly.

You need to make a change to the *reverse* zone, which I'll assume is
101.168.192.in-addr.arpa. Looks like you currently have a line in there
which reads

84    in    ptr   ns1

without any preceding $ORIGIN line. What it needs to be is:

84    in    ptr    ns1.mydomain.com.

(assuming that there are no preceding $ORIGIN lines at all. Note the
trailing period)

-or-

$ORIGIN mydomain.com.
84.101.168.192.in-addr.arpa.    in    ptr    ns1

(More trailing periods).

Note that since the owner name and RDATA are in different domains, there's
no one $ORIGIN which will allow you to use relative names for *both*.