$ORIGIN in Bind 9

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Fri Nov 17 00:03:14 UTC 2000

> I'm having some difficulty with bind 9 and seting it up correctly.
>
> Here's what I'm trying to fix.
>
> When I start nslookup from any of my machines the server responds
> Answer Crypto-validated by server:
> Server: ns1.101.168.192.in-addr.arpa
> Address: 192.168.101.84
>
> What I want it to say is ns1.mydomain.com  for the Server line.

	$ORIGIN works the same way in BIND 9 as in BIND 8.  This looks
	like it appended the $ORIGIN correctly.

	You would have had the following in the zone file.
	84	PTR	ns1

	You should have had.
	84 	PTR	ns1.mydomain.com.

> Basicly this is where I am right now.  I tried seting up
> $ORIGIN mydomain.com in the forward zone file, and restarted the deamon,
> not the machine, it didn't seem to do the trick.

	The problem is in the reverse zone not the forward zone.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com