BIND 8.2.2-P7 and NOTIFY flood

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Nov 16 23:54:02 UTC 2000

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com wrote:

> > Is there a way to prevent master to send NOTIFY to its slaves on start-up?
> > I have noticed that master server always send a notify for all zones it has i
> > n its configuration
> > when named is initiated..
> >
> > I have reviewed the current configuration options for 8.2.x, but can't find a
> > ny way to disable
> > this. You may set "notify no", but this totally disable the notify feature, a
> > nd you usually don't
> > want to do this. The reason for wanting to disable this initial notify, is th
> > at the notify transactions
> > between master and the slave(s) are somewhat time and CPU consuming when havi
> > ng a large
> > amount of zones allocated.
> >
> > Are there actually any obvious reason for the master server to send notifies
> > for absolutely *all*
> > zones on start-up?
>
>         Yes.  There is no way for a nameserver to know if a zone was edited
>         when the server was down.  The server sends the notifies in case
>         the zone was modified.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever thought about improving this? In the case
of a clean shutdown, at least, it should be possible to compare a checksum or
digest of each zonefile at startup against a private database of checksums or
digests, to see if anything has changed. This couldn't work perfectly for an
unclean shutdown, of course, although if the database were continuously updated,
it could at least reduce the NOTIFY waste.