BIND 8.2.2-P7 and NOTIFY flood

Alexander Ottl aottl at mpmail.net
Sat Nov 18 11:47:52 UTC 2000

Kenneth Karoliussen wrote:

> >Yes.  There is no way for a nameserver to know if a zone was edited
> >when the server was down.  The server sends the notifies in case
> >the zone was modified.
>
> Although it should not be mandatory, or there should rather have been a way
> to set this behaviour in the configuration. If there was a way to disable this
> initial notify from master, the slave server(s) should still check its revision
> when the SOA Refresh expire. Overall I think such new feature for notify
> would be helpful for optimising the performance on initial run of Named..
>
> Best,
>
> Kenneth Karoliussen

Really, how often do you restart your named? NOTIFY gives you a
guarantee that your name servers are synchronized. If you could disable
NOTIFY on startup you would break that guarantee -- though only for the
refresh time.

If you are NOTIFYing servers that don't care something is wrong with
your setup. If you are restarting named so often that this NOTIFY is a
problem then something unrelated to NOTIFY should probably be fixed.

Just an hour ago I restarted named for the upgrade to 8.2.2P7 and I did
it a bit reluctantly. Like with any server one doesn't want even the
slightest down time so one doesn't want to restart unless absolutely
necessary.

Regards,
Alex

--
Alexander Ottl
Media Professionals AG           Tel.: +49 (89) 51554-169